Home again, Home again.

Home again, Home again.

Postby Altias_Bromn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:22 pm

There was a time when this place had been his home. A time when these people had been his friends. This much he somehow knew in his heart. That woman...so familiar, yet his mind could not make the connection, could not even conjure a name. She had left him...wanting. Though he was grateful for the bed, the way in which it came to him was almost unkind. As if she pitied him, found him beneath her. It was frustrating and infuriating.

He sat on the edge of the bed, twisting that silver ring around his finger. There was something important about it. The woman had seemed interested in it and he doubted it was some fear for his safety. At any rate, it did not really matter. He was exhausted and for the first time, well since he could remember, he would sleep in a real bed. Long tresses were hastily braided before he laid his head down on the pillow. Within moments his body allowed him to rest.

"Silly man. You think it so easy to go home again? It never is you know. That woman, how painful for her that you do not remember her. How sad and confused she must be. I could not help myself, surely you can understand. I had to twist the knife just a little bit. That bitch deserves all the pain I could possibly bring to her and more. She will pay for all she has done, even as you pay now for your sins. They have all but forgotten that which has come before, as is the way with humans.

Do not worry my pet. Her time will come. But there are others who must also pay, and you, my sweet puppet, will be the doorway to that suffering. Even as you try to remember, even as they try to bring you back, you will serve me as you have this long year. You have been such a good pet, I suppose you deserve a small reward. I will give you one word, and one name. See what you can make from them, and what they will make of them."

Her face loomed close then, and he could see as he once had. See her glittering scales, the limitless depth of that black gaze. An ebon talon reached out to trail slowly down his cheek, the blood welling to the surface of his flesh as it passed.

If the scream woke anyone in the inn, they did not come, they did not come to see if he had been attacked, if he lay bleeding in this bed. His clothing soaked through, the sheets stuck to him and wrapped around him like a burial sheath. As he fought his way free, tears streamed down his face. He remembered nothing of the terror of his dream. Nothing save a name and a word.

"Ariane. Believe."
Altias_Bromn

Return to The Tavern