A Sign Posted Around Town

A Sign Posted Around Town

Postby Dulcie » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:22 am

Dulcie made her way around time hammering the following signs onto posts and the front door of the Broken Dagger.

Dulcie

Re: A Sign Posted Around Town

Postby Drache » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:50 am

It was one of those dreary mornings in the middle of winter when the snow-choked sky lightened gradually from black to stone-gray. On days like those there was a moment, sometime in the early morning, when all hope fled that the day would grow any brighter. The dread season had carried on far too long for the high snow-drifts to represent any semblance of fun or novelty. Snow felt more like shards of cold glass for the way they dug in around the edges of jackets and gloves.

It was on such a morning that the door of the Broken Dagger flew open with a tremendous bang to reveal a young man looming darkly against the colourless world behind him. Having simply tried to make his way inside off the iced porch, his frozen fingers had slipped from the handle. The chill wind now streaking through the common area of the tavern had done the rest. He hurried to force the door closed, fighting the wind as though it was a large animal ferociously trying to gain entrance.

Snowflakes spilled from his mop of black curls and the shoulders of his black dyed-wool overcoat. It was a nice coat, well-fitting and silk-lined, and its like had been the height of fashion in Razasan about oh...ten years ago. It was the kind of garment that managed to make a young man look somewhat dashing while preventing his limbs from freezing off. The kind of thing people in Myrken held on to for special occasions. And to disguise the thread-baredness of whatever they wore underneath. In this man's case, dark brown homespun breeches fit snugly into his boots. A steel blue coloured scarf kept the majority of snow off his neck.

He took a brief pause to compose himself and relish the warmth and relative quiet of the tavern's interior, rubbing his hands together. He wasn't an overly tall or athletic looking specimen. Possibly around 5'9" with a leaner build that was only partly to blame on his lack of summers. His skin was uniformly pale and blemish-free except where the wind had whipped his high cheekbones pink. The rest of his features were angular, sharp, and his pale blue eyes surveyed the room with a bit more awareness than the average farmer's son.

Youngish or not, he straightened his coat and smoothed his scarf and his roguishly tousled hair and strode up to the bar with definite purpose. To whichever barmaid was readily available, he would ask rather confidently, "Good morning. Could I please speak to Miss Dulcie?"
Drache

Postby Dulcie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:08 am

The barmaid on duty seemed a little disappointed that the man approaching the bar was interested in talking to the innkeeper instead of to her. She'd put on something of a glum face at the lack of attention, but she'd nod and wander off to the kitchen. It was a few minutes before the innkeeper made her way out of the kitchen, wiping her hands off on the apron that was around her waist. It seemed that today her help was needed in the kitchen. She'd look over her hands briefly to make sure they were clean before she'd come over and approach the man who was waiting there for her.

"Hello there, I'm Dulcie. Can I help you with something?" She was relatively young herself, perhaps thirty at the most. Her clothes were well constructed and today she was wearing a white blouse that she had rolled up to her elbows paired with a green skirt, though the whole ensemble was lightly dusted with flour at this point, even to the point where a few strands of her hair that had fallen down from her bun where dusted white as well.
Dulcie

Postby Drache » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:59 am

One of his dark brows arched a little as the barmaid disappeared into the back and he offered a soft "Hmm!" of amusement. Using the intervening moments to his advantage, he loosened his scarf a little and looked around, but did not sit down at the counter. It wasn't his first visit to the Dagger, but it had been some time since his last, and he wasn't in here to drown his woes in liquor this time. He wondered how long it would take to meet a dragon if he stuck around.

When Dulcie appeared, the young man tucked a hand into the front of his jacket and withdrew a folded piece of paper, which he then passed to the innkeeper over the top of the bar. "Good morning, Miss Dulcie. My name is Seth Ledgant. I found this posted up down near the Meetinghouse and I'm hoping you're still in need of a bartender."

He spoke calmly and confidently, his accent of someone born and raised in Myrken. Watching the flour-dusted innkeep, he waited patiently for her response, smiling with a mix of mature poise and boyish charm.
Drache

Postby Dulcie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:54 am

She took a moment to look over at the young man as he was passing her a folded piece of paper. Her first inclination was to to unfold it and start looking over it, althougth as he started talking she immiediately understood that it was the flier that she had put up around town. He mentioned that he wanted to take up a position as a bartender and she'd look up from the paper, her hazel eyes sweeping over him critically, trying to pull out what she could from his appearance.

"I am still looking for a bartender. But tell me, what is it in particular that draws you to the position?" Apparently this was Dulcie's version of an interview.
Dulcie

Postby Drache » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:26 pm

Leaning casually against the bar, he started to feel the skin-stiffening cold leave his fingers and he risked unbuttoning his jacket and loosening his scarf a little more. His curly hair now gleamed a little wetly where the snow had melted into it, and a rogue coil sprang down across his forehead to be hastily flattened back. He brightened at the news that she was still looking for a tender.

"Terrific!" And then she went on to the expected questions and it was only then that Seth ventured into one of the barstools. He laced his slender fingers together on the bartop. "Bartending is a job I've done before, so that gives it a certain amount of appeal. And I'm better suited to it than anything to do with farming or fighting." There was a bit of a wry smile at that. Perhaps he valued his hide a bit more than to turn to hard labor as a living.

"I will admit I have heard some fascinating rumours about the crowd here. I wouldn't have been able to resist visiting for long. That I'm looking for work too is a happy coincidence. I do enjoy the idea of a job that allows me a chance to peoplewatch."

His eyes strayed from the innkeeper to the array of liquor bottles behind her.
Drache

Postby Dulcie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:25 am

She listened while he spoke, something that was extremely difficult for Dulcie. She tended to do most of the talking herself, but when it came to matters of hiring someone that she didn't know, well that was another story altogether. His answer sounded reasonable enough, though the way he looked at the liquor bottles was most certainly noted.

"Well that all sounds fair. Quite frankly we could do with someone who has had some experience tending bar before. It's been busy around here lately and we haven't been able to keep our staff very long and when they are here they frighten off rather easily and just generally make a mess of things. I suppose though that there are a few things I should make you aware of before I'd offer you the job." While her words sounded reluctant the speech that came next was anything but. Dulcie knew the tavern inside out and backwards and was well aware of the reasons why people didn't stay.

"Working in the Dagger is tough work, not just because it's busy but because it's dangerous and I won't abide by people who can't take care of themselves. You'll either find a way to survive in this place or you won't. That being said it's been a very long time since anyone has lost life or limb under my roof. So starting off right there if you frighten easily this isn't the place for you.

As you mentioned we also have quite the crowd here. I don't tolerate racism or the abuse of any of our patrons. We have a number of strange folks that come into the dagger, perhaps the most unusual being a dragonness, some fae, a werewolf and a boy who seems to be part squid, at least I think that's what they're called anyhow, was never much of a sailor. There's Catch as well.. but I don't even know how to explain him. Anyhow, those are just some examples. We've also had everything from centaurs to vampires come walking through our door and we treat them just the same. My rule is if you aren't hurting anybody then we live and let live. Sometimes that means serving a drink to someone who makes your stomach turn or setting down a raw bit of meat in front of a werewolf, but they're all paying customers in my eyes. People watching is definitely something you'll be getting alot of here, but if you can't handle the variety then again, this wouldn't be the place for you."

She paused for air then before she began again, her hazel eyes scanning over his face for signs that he was frightened or resistant to some of her ideas.

"Now then, if that hasn't scared you off yet I'll tell you a bit about the good things of working here. Pay is 5 coppers a week plus whatever extra you're given by the patrons, you are also provided all your food, drink and lodging. We have worker's quarters off of the kitchen and most of the folks that work here choose to live there unless they happen to have a place in town. The room's included as part of your job and if you make really good friends with Dana the chambermaid she'll likely even wash the linens for you. I don't tolerate drunks, thieves or violence amongst my workers so if you have any of those inclinations you can walk yourself right out of the door." Was it obvious now the trouble that Dulcie had been having keeping staff?

"Any questions? What are your thoughts on the job now?" She'd finally stop talking and wait for a response or at least it seemed like she was going to before she tacked on one last question. "Where did you say you learned to tend bar?"
Dulcie

Postby Drache » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:02 pm

The young man listened intently, his blue eyes no longer wandering. No one knew a tavern better than its keep and Seth was keen for this job and intelligent enough to pay attention. Things she said now would no doubt be critical at a later time. His smile faded while Dulcie talked, but only so that he could nibble his lip a little as she painted a picture of what working at the Dagger would be like. He didn't seem too concerned when it came to surviving the job, though his brows arched together briefly. He was just a simple human after all. She would get a better reaction as she described the myriad of clientele, so much more interesting than what he was used to. The exorbitant benefits surprised him and his brows rose towards his hairline. He hadn't been expecting such all-inclusive compensation, and that even lodgings were part of the deal was almost suspiciously generous.

Nodding, he fished deep into a pocket on the inside of the jacket. "I'd like to think of myself as better than oblivious to the hazards of catering to a crowd like that, but this talk of centaurs and werewolves only makes me that much more eager for the position. Not a popular view in this town I'm sure, but a critical one for a bartender who intends to last longer than a season, I think. With such excellent pay I'm a little surprised you've had so much trouble hanging on to your staff. But I say, more fool them."

He smiled at the final question and produced another piece of paper and held it out for her, this one folded similarly to the first but noticeably older and scrawled in a mean hand. "I didn't say, but I hope this will be better than just a name. If you're willing, my only question would be when I can start."

It was a letter of recommendation. Or at least, something that might pass for one in a place like Myrken. Seth was a little embarrassed about the poor hand of his previous employer, but he believed in the posterity behind the letter enough to hand it over anyways.

To Hoom it Maye Concern,

This is a leter of recomendayshun for Sethry Ledgant. This young man has worked for my tavern these last nineteene months. He aint a big lad but he has more brayns than most. He knows his likors well and is always polight to my patrons, espeshully the odder ones. He gets along with the mayds, mayhap a litle too well at times, and if he steals any from my till I aint able to tell. He may not want to work in a bar forever but at leest he dont wayste my time while hes here. Im sore sad to lose him and its my hope he'll go on to find more work as soon as he can. My regards.

Stan Morris
The Serpents Head Inn n' Tavern
Oakhollow
Drache

Postby Dulcie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:26 am

She listened carefully to the young man's reaction to her description of he job and his thoughts on the rate of compensation, her keen eyes fixed on his expression and the way that he moved, Dulcie was an expert at reading people in that way. "The compensation is better than most yes, but it's dangerous work and I worked my way up from being a chambermaid here my 18th year and I like to think I'm giving folks the opportunity that I had.". There wan't much more explanation then at why the staff left so frequently but it could be well assumed. Besides all that Dulcie was generally considered a kind and generous person.

She took the letter of recommendation, her brow furrowing a little as she read. Dulcie could read but it was never an easy task for her. When she finished she'd nod her head a little. "Job's all yours then. Would you be interested in taking up quarters here? I could show you the room of you like and introduce you to the others. Most of the barmaids can show you how things work around here and you could start to tomorrow if you'd like. Do you read and write?". Clearly that wasn't a qualification for the job since she was hiring him anyhow, but clearly it was something she was interested in knowing.
Dulcie

Postby Drache » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:08 pm

The innkeeper's keen eyes would serve her well. There was a fair amount of anxiety in the young man, though he did a fair job of covering it up with polite well-spoken confidence. He was a kid who had had to grow up quickly, even by Myrken standards. Mixed relief and excitement crossed his features as she actually offered him the job.

"I appreciate the oppurtunity. I don't have anywhere else to stay so please, lead the way! I wouldn't want to keep you from your baking for too long!" He stood up again, moving down the bar so he could follow her. "Yes, I can. And much better than ol' Stan, for sure."
Drache

Postby Dulcie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:01 am

Anxiety. It was something Dulcie remembered all to well from her own youth, having to grow up as quickly as she did. For a moment her gaze would soften as she remembered both the feeling of finally having somewhere to go and the fears that she had as she learned her firs job. She was an empathetic woman and for that moment it showed in her face before she smiled to him and nodded, motioning for him to follow her.

"You'll be the only one then other than myself who can read and write, it'll help a bit. Under the bar I keep the registration book and a book of accounts. Rates for the rooms, drinks and meals as all in the account book, but I use my judgement with folks. You'll be able to tell what I mean when you read them.". Dulcie's version of rates could be considered to be on a sliding scale. While there was a set rate for everything some people paid less than others or there were notes about trades in the margins. " I create a symbol for each guest in the registration book so the girls who can't read can keep tallies on the days they keep a room. Keys are on the back wall there and I keep the coin box underneath the counter. There's a crossbow and a knife down there as well in case you ever find yourself in need of them. You shouldn't though". Although there was the tiniest hint of doubt in her voice.

She walked him through the kitchen then turning down a hallway so narrow that if two people were passing in opposite directions they would certainly be touching. She'd lead him to a room with an open door and a key dangling from the knob. The interior was small with a single bed, a dresser directly beside it and a single chair in the corner, leaving enough space for a trunk if one had such a thing. "Here's your room then. The bathhouse, laundry and greenhouse are all out the back door from the kitchen. If you need help finding your way around ask Dana, but so help me by the Gods if that girl ends up in a family way her father will strangle us both.". She smiles though so it was obvious that she was joking at least partially anyhow. She'd wait then to see if he had any other questions.
Dulcie

Return to The Tavern