Teddi's Quiet Return

Teddi's Quiet Return

Postby Teddi » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:39 pm

Teddi never responded to Glenn Burnie's note two months ago; although no one knew the girl very well -- those who worked with her day by day knew that she was always exceedingly polite. Her disregard was unusual, and she'd not been entirely herself for the weeks after the rescue. She smiled away concern, and her presence grew smaller and smaller until the skinny barmaid seemed to simply fall through the cracks one day.

She got along well with her coworkers in the tavern, but no one was close enough for missives; the last time anyone saw her, she was horseback on the road with two saddlebags, going away.

~*~

Two weeks before Yule on a bright, early morning -- branches sparkling with ice, the fields voluptuous with snow -- Teddi was seen again, heading into the town.

Her wide eyes, filled with wonder, embraced the wall surrounding Myrken Town.

"L- Look at that!" She cried out in the cold, wringing her reigns. "Do you see it?! I would say that I do not believe it, but I do! Oh, I do!"

The horse tossed its head in reply, and the rose-cheeked girl giggled helplessly in amazement of the fortification. There was no disapproval in her young, enchanted face.

"Let us go before we are frozen!"

There were a few, distinctive differences about her: her hands were palsied with cold rather than terror, her cheeks had taken colour, and there were no sleepless rings around her astonished eyes. Wherever she'd been, there'd been a small amount of recovery; there was not enough to banish the lameness of the frail barmaid's leg.

She rode through the town and then down the lane toward the tavern.

~*~

One hour later, having passed her horse on to the stablehand and struggled her luggage into the narrow worker-quarters, she was pulling an apron off of a wall-hook in the warm kitchen. Just as suddenly as she'd gone, she'd returned.

The common room was blessedly quiet, but she did not need patrons to prompt a dreamy smile. She always loved the winter; she was glad to be back in time for the holidays.

She sang to herself while she wiped down the bar.
Teddi

Return to The Tavern