A warm welcome.

A warm welcome.

Postby Cinnabar » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:03 am

It's a small but well-presented deputation that visits the Dagger in the early afternoon, a somewhat curious range of professions represented. One at a time they climb the stairs to the hallway and knock upon the door of the room customarily rented out to Miss Ariane Emory, each waiting until the previous emissary has descended before heading up to the room.

First a healer from the Rememdium, a pleasant-faced young woman with soft hands and a quiet demeanour, a satchel at her side containing clean bandages, therapeutic herbs, soothing balms and suchlike healing supplies; she claims that she has been asked by the Governor to offer her assistance to a young lady in residence.

The second visitor is a well-outfitted girl with slender hands, who introduces herself as being from one of Myrken's finer dressmakers; the Governor has asked her to take the lady's measurements and to tailor a new dress according to her specifications, which she promises will be ready within a day.

The third visitor introduces herself as the proprietress of Myrkentown's Teahouse, a slightly older lady of dignified bearing and elegant pose, carrying a wickerwork basket on one arm; she has been asked by the Governor to conduct a small tea service, and provide whatever other care might be needed. Shortly after her comes another knock at the door, this time from a tavern worker bearing a freshly-boiled kettle of water and the tavern's finest tea-set.

All in all, a quite thoroughly civilised welcome back to Myrken Wood for the lady Lenore.
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

A morning missive for the Governor:

Postby Wendy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:04 pm

Cinnabar,

It is a strange moment to be sitting here on the floor, with my back to the wall, in Ariane's room,
The permanent pitch markings spread there, at the ends of Cambree's feet, scorched floorboards that welcomed her the last time she was here. and without Ariane present. Instead, the Duchess Tassnehof after some tea and tears and embraces - after tearing Ariane's bed down to its bare frame and exposing every non-threatening inch is asleep beside me.

Tea service was.. remarkable. The blend was pleasant, and I believe it suited the Duchess, because she didn't care to add milk or sugar.
Would he sense her smile when he came to this part? There was much to share, and while I am believing that your intentions for friendship were mild, I have made another friend.

She is a wife and mother, and her demons are behind her - never gone. They are never entirely gone.
Wouldn't he be just the sort to understand... that these entities that belong to us could someday serve as reminders instead of haunts - that they could manage to cause comfort, and no longer pain, given their process?

They have a beautiful daughter.
In slanted hand, because her eyes keep closing.

x,
Cambree
Wendy

Postby Carnath-Emory » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:46 pm

Cambree Swinton's presence is invaluable.

She knows which stretches of floor bear scars, and how to deftly ease another's eyes elsewhere; she has surely known not to disturb those thin rugs near the window, the room's only concession to ornament. That window was shattered once, and Cambree surely recalls it.

She understands without needing to ask that the closet would be freely available for the young Duchess' use, and that the chest at the bed's foot might not be. Having seen that table eased into the room's corner, having surely noted that fully half of its keepsakes were removed, placed elsewhere .. where they cannot trouble a Duchess' eyes, or taint her gentle hands.

She is capable of transforming this very austere chamber into something far finer, of adding gentle and lovely things, of making a girl forget sharp corners and bare floors, and that there is weaponry in that closet which would fit nowhere else. She has surely made free with such things as ink and quills and parchment of some quality, has perhaps spent some time with the Duchess upon books of considerable size, books with covers edged in gleaming brass and which feature matchless illustrations.

It is possible to effect such a transformation, after all.
They'd done it to an attic space three years ago.
Carnath-Emory

Unto Governor Calomel

Postby SuperRy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:30 pm

The following is a brief letter, written on plain paper with shaky quill strokes--written by a hand that has not been used to writing.

-------

Governor Calomel:

I write to thank you for your kindness. A warmer welcome back home to Myrken, I’ve never seen. The healer, the dressmaker, the tea service—all thoughtful and necessary, though I did not realize their necessity until today.

That I am feeling better, feeling stronger, is in no small part due to you. And to Ariane. And to the good lady Swinton, with whom I’ve become fast friends.

Perhaps someday I will be able to repay you in some fashion. I look forward to the chance, may it arise.

Sincerely,

L Tassnehof
a drowner, sinking in the dry sea
an insomniac, searching the dust for dreams
SuperRy

Return to The Tavern