It's a thankless job, but someone's got to do it.

Re: It's a thankless job, but someone's got to do it.

Postby Niabh » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:29 am

"I ain't worried about regard. Regard ain't gonner knock me in the back of the neck." Glenn's priorities baffled him.

Teetering dangerously on the desk's ledge, the raven regarded dubiously the little collection of boxes and Xs Glenn presented him. The act of watching him draw, ink unspooling beneath the quill's point, was more interesting than what the lines represented, particularly considering that 'representing' didn't mean much to him anyway. If his mistress struggled with metaphor, the raven lacked an ability to comprehend symbols.

He peered into the rectangle Glenn had drawn, then looked back up at the man. Then back to the rectangle. Then to Glenn. "Uh. We're not in there. We're in here." He spoke very slowly, very carefully, with more than a little concern that this, then, was what the lady had warned him to look out for. "You want me to go out there and look for some kids. Which will be out there. But they won't actually be standing on Xs. Got it. Leave it to me."
Anything can be magic if you're gullible enough.
Niabh

Postby Glenn » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:06 am

Oh, there was the eye contact. Not worried about regard? Well, then. Burnie's tone was even, deadly even, as even as the raven had heard him since whatever his mistress had done. Apparently, he was still capable. "You won't be harmed." That was all there was to say about that, for now at least.

Things became far less even when the raven showed a significant inability to read expertly made and wholly representative maps. "Benedict," the bird was a bit too close to be glared at. As for his voice, that started nice and steady but quickly became exasperated quickly, with the next word even. "I have a disparate but very specific skillset. You happen to be uniquely incapable of appreciating any of it. You don't read letters. You are wholly unaffected by sophistry, oratory, wank. You can't understand the idea behind maps, let alone read them. Civic administration would be wasted on you. Obviously, you're not about to pick up a sword and spar with me. These are the carefully honed skills of a lifetime, Benedict." His volume had risen more and more, though the rest of his form stayed all but clenched. Now that he had reached a peak, he began to come down once again. "I cannot sing. I dance like a fencer. I know no jokes. I cannot juggle nor do I wish to, so get no ideas. Not only do I have no aptitude towards legerdemain, but I have little affinity towards those that do. We're far odder friends than that which Finn and I have become."

Then, turning on a dime, warmth reentered his voice. "Still, you get the idea of it. Children, most likely found in three or four places nearby. As mysteries go, this is an inconvenient one. Do see what you can do about resolving it for all three of us."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Niabh » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:38 am

"You can't fly and we ain't the same species," the raven replied calmly, even warmly, and without so much as a blink of a steel-blue eye. "We don't get into these things for what people can offer, mate."

The sleek head bobbed once, politely, before it twisted, sharp beak pointing toward the streetward wall. "Right. Back in a tick."

A moment to get his bearings and then he jumped from the table back to the arm of the chair where he could pump his wings wide without risking clouting Glenn in the face. The window wasn't open, but fairy ravens didn't let such mundane matters deter them: he sailed through it silent as a shadow.
Anything can be magic if you're gullible enough.
Niabh

Previous

Return to Other