A Letter to Calomel, and a Surprise As Well.

A Letter to Calomel, and a Surprise As Well.

Postby Kylerryth » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:14 am

The courier was one of the Lord Aldred's -- he wore the appropriately-colored livery, even sported the House's badge on the left breast of his coat; but he was just a pale-haired boy of thirteen, red-faced from the wind of traveling on horse with some speed, not one of the scarfed and armored household guard like the three men behind him. A letter of some importance, then?

Perhaps. That would be for Calomel to decide, would it not?

The letter read:

[indent]To Cinnabar Calomel, High Constable of the Myrken Wood Constabulary and Interim Governor of Myrken Wood;

Salve. Good health and fortune to you, Calomel. Forgive the lapse in formality; I am being brief, as I am extremely busy once again. This letter is not even the purpose of the delivery, nor why it was made with such haste; you should in fact discard it and open the accompanying folder instead, for its contents will enlighten you.

Sincerely,
Aston Jylan Aldred
Lord of Aldred
Councilor of Defence & Civil Security
[/indent]

And when Calomel did open the folder -- it was tied shut and sealed with wax at three points -- and peer inside, he would be greeted by the bold, flowing script on the very first page:

PLAN FOR THE FORMATION AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE MYRKEN WOOD ARMY; AND THE APPLICATION FOR RIGHTS OF CITIZENSHIP.
I'll either find a way or make one.
Kylerryth

Postby Cinnabar » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:35 pm

To Aston Jylan Aldred, Councillor for Defence and Civil Security

Councillor Aldred

Your proposed plan regarding a new army for Myrken Wood is most compelling, and I would encourage you to begin taking the necessary steps to put it into action. In the meantime I can only commend you for your sterling efforts towards ensuring Myrken Wood's future safety, and request that you continue to bolster the Militia as agreed at the last Council meeting.

On a related matter, I would be obliged if you could update me with regard to our present situation with the Brotherhood of Janeiro, as I must confess that I am somewhat confused by the current state of affairs. I quite clearly recall our agreement was that their contract was to be terminated immediately following our conversation almost two weeks ago, their duties to be taken up by the troops from Xanth Grange, and any new contract was to be approved by my office before being formalised.

However, Brotherhood forces remain on duty at the Ringwall, and no new contract has crossed my desk. I find this apparent inconsistency to be most troubling.

Please confirm that the Brotherhood's previous contract has been terminated, and they they have been removed from active duty. I shall also await word from the commander of the Xanth Grange troops to confirm that they have received orders from your office to relieve the Brotherhood's troops of their present duties. I trust that there will be no delay in these confirmations reaching my office, and look forward to receiving them presently.

Good health and fortune to you, Councillor.

Sincerely

Cinnabar Calomel
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

Postby Kylerryth » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:16 am

A swift reply arrived.

[indent]To Cinnabar Calomel, High Constable of the Myrken Wood Constabulary and Interim Governor of Myrken Wood;

Salve, High Constable. Good health and fortune to you.

I appreciate your support in the matter of the formation of the Myrken Wood military. Copies of the proposal are being submitted to the other Councilors for review as I write this letter; I doubt there will be any opposition, therefore I have already begun to proceed accordingly. I do not think the Judiciary Council nor, more importantly, the people of Myrken Wood will be disappointed in the results. However, it will require time and patience -- an army is not created overnight. In addition, there are points in the proposal which must be discussed and subsequently defined by the Judiciary as a whole. I have faith in the plan, though, and believe it will benefit our province and its people.

Conversely, I apologize for the delay in relieving the Brotherhood of Janeiro of their duties. As no new contract has been drawn up or agreed to, one has not been submitted for the Judiciary's review. Orders have been delivered to the commander of the regiment from Xanth Grange; in summary, a thousand men will be sent to various posts on the Ringwall, and a thousand will remain in reserve. The Brotherhood of Janeiro will be ordered to Fortress Sumpter, where they will demobilize until I receive word from Marshal Karolinger. I have included a copy of the orders sent to Marshal Karolinger this afternoon.

Sincerely,
Aston Jylan Aldred
Lord of Aldred
Councilor of Defence & Civil Security
[/indent]
I'll either find a way or make one.
Kylerryth

Postby Cinnabar » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:21 am

To Aston Jylan Aldred, Councillor for Defence and Civil Security

Councillor Aldred

Indeed, I would concur that certain sections of the proposal will require consideration by the rest of the Council. Nonetheless I feel that in general concept it is a sound plan, and look forward to seeing the results. In the meantime, perhaps another Council meeting would be appropriate, in order to discuss various matters that have arisen since the last such gathering.

Also, my thanks for your prompt confirmation that the unfortunate oversight regarding the Brotherhood's contract has been corrected.

Sincerely,

Cinnabar Calomel
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse