Obiter Dictum.

Obiter Dictum.

Postby Kylerryth » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:11 am

Somehow, amid the business of the days and the turmoil of the nights, he found the time to write the Governor a letter -- a note, really; for it was but a few words on a scrap of folded parchment. Its message, however, would not be lost on Coriolanus Helstone, whom Coran did not believe required notification of the result of the battle ... but he did believe the man would, at the very least, appreciate the information.

So he wrote the note, and he sent Joacim and a courier to Myrken Wood to deliver it.

It read:

[indent]It is done.

C. D.
[/indent]
I'll either find a way or make one.
Kylerryth

Postby channe » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:16 am

"Sometimes," said the stout, bearded Lord Helstone to his young son Coriolanus, tapping his lawbooks with the end of his cane, "you have to do things you do not find appealing or palatable or even just. You must do them for the good of everyone."

Helstone thinks on this, as he watches the rain spatter against the closed glass window, slip through where the pane doesn't quite fit right against the wall, and collect on the floor in a sad puddle.

It is done.

Joacim waits outside, as Helstone writes, signs, and seals a return letter.

My honored Lord D'zir,

I held Captain al'Nerun in considerable esteem for his breadth of knowledge and commitment to this place. A man simply fulfilling a contract would not have taken the fight to the drow; he would not have sacrificed himself like such, and he -- and you, sir -- deserve our thanks and admiration for all that you have done.

I was at the final Council meeting before he decided to take the fight to Audmathus; we tried to dissuade him, but he would not be moved. Such bravery is incredible. Whatever happened to him in the Underdark changed him irrevocably; the Successor's hand is in it. From what I heard, the real Captain died that day, and that is how Myrken Wood will remember him: as hero, not as plague.

And as for yourself, Lord D'zir: you may return to Myrken Wood freely. The banishment is lifted, as I promised. Do not hold yourself in contempt. Men who lead men must sometimes do these things for the benefit of all.

With my sincerest regrets,
Governor Coriolanus Helstone
of Myrken Wood
channe

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse