Penned for the Pie-Maker

Penned for the Pie-Maker

Postby Rance » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:22 am

A small little fold of paper was given to the bartender wit the explicit permission of, "Deliver this to the pie-making lady only," the woman's misspelled name scrawled across the front: JENEY.

The letter was discourteously blunt at its outset.

What do you mean UNFORTUNATE ABSENTS,

I have tossed and turnt the whole night you see in the throws of great disturbance, Myrken Wood is in such peculiar straights at the moment and now to hear the gofenor's UNFORTUNATE ABSENTS is disheartening, fritening, and altogether unsettling, I may be just a loafy person but I am not a fool,

Do you mean that he has been SWAYNED, or that he has been removed by murder, do you mean that he has been taken captive, I woult ask you this time by letter that if you have further information to please let me know,

it is not a time to trust any person but who you know very well and I do not know you very well Jeney, but I wish to, I wish it very much, but those who may be trusted have had their minds meddled, and Rhaena Olwak does not even choose to hide it, if ARIANE EMORY may be SWAYNED then so may we all one by one by one by one,

many of us have chosen to do what we ought not wish to, to help our friends, but if you know a thing such as the nature of this UNFORTUNATE ABSENTS you would be best to begin telling those who wish to trust you,

because if you may not be trusted, then what is to keep you from being an opsticle,

yours,
Gloria Wynsee
Rance
Co-Founder

Re: Penned for the Pie-Maker

Postby Tolleson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:35 am

Genny did not stay at the Dagger with any reliable frequency, too often working into the wee hours of the morning. But she did manage to pick up the letter left for her and leave a reply in short order. Penned in fine but hurried script, sealed with blue wax and a simple stamp, the note was left with the barkeep and explicit instructions that it be given to Miss Gloria… the seamstress woman in need of a bath, you know, the one who dotes on Ser Catch.

Dear Miss Gloria Wynsee,

Unfortunate Absence. It is regrettable that you have experienced such dismay upon the reported absence of our esteemed governor. I assure you, you are not alone in your despair.

I also wish to convey my apology, if in anyway you mistook my words as a presumption that you were or are a fool. Do not think this so.

My words regarding Mister Glenn Burnie mean exactly as I have said. It is an unfortunate absence, the extent to which I know very little. Though I am certain the Inquistory will investigate to the fullest capacity. Speculating at this juncture will surely only cause confusion and ill-founded rumors. Worry not.

As to the matter of trust, I hope you will give your own sparingly to those you do not know. May you stay vigilant in observation and always question what others accept.

Sincerely and may the Gods be good to you,
Genevieve Tolleson

Post Script –
You may take the silver lantern from my room at the Dagger, my gift to you. I noticed the other night that the one you found near the Stinky Sheep was in disrepair, you should discard it immediately to keep yourself and Catch from harm.

Gods help her that she sent such a letter to Gloria of all people. Gloria who couldn’t spell, who hadn’t the sense to keep voice down and her thoughts off paper. Perhaps she had some understanding that not all things could be said so directly.

The very first words were merely a correction. But for so many other words, Genny was incredibly talented at saying nothing at all as neutrally as possible. Intercepting letters was not such an unfamiliar experience and in this new Myrken careful took on an entirely new meaning.

Though what was written was entirely true, if by ‘investigate fully’ she meant ‘appear to investigate and ignore completely,’ and ‘worry not,’ meant ‘worry quite a lot,’ then one had the right of it. Gloria could jump to her own conclusions or make what she liked of the letter – there were to many other threads that needed to be trimmed and tied.

But with any luck she would find her answers.
Tolleson

Return to The Broken Dagger