Homework for Master Brown

Homework for Master Brown

Postby Waldemar » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:48 am

A letter, sealed, addressed to Elliot Brown and delivered by the hand of Cat, scullion at the Broken Dagger.

Master Brown

As requested, some educational reading to address some unfortunate deficiencies. The dates and battlefields should be sufficient for a young man of your resourcefulness - if not, any halfway-competent librarian should be able to assist you in your search.

Kroup's De Historia Amasiniensis is a good starting point for most of these events - Bernhardt of Collingford's translation into the Standard is rigorous, though his prose occasionally strays into the florid. Monteroy's Triumphs of Albarech's Heirs was written for Count Jerestrade (who prided himself on claiming a tenuous lineage from Albarech I) and is correspondingly biased, but his account of the the battle of Mythago Reach is sufficient for our purposes provided you disregard his obsequious commentary. Van Gusteen's Chronicles of the Wars of Salvation is excellent reading in its own right, particularly his analysis of the Almark campaign and the privations suffered by both the local populace and the conquering forces during the winter of AI 1252-1253.

Sincerely

Marek Waldemar

Anteline, AI 1087 - Please note especially the fate of Prince Caspar of Ricathair after his hasty and ill-considered cavalry charge.
Gilead Fields, AI 1097 - Similar to above, resulting in the final extinction of the ancient and once-powerful Gileadoc line.
Lower Colbridge, AI 763 - In which the rebel Baron Darachor's vastly superior force advanced precipitately into unfamiliar territory and were butchered to a man.
Silver Forest Heights, AI 1270 - Note how shrewd use of advance scouts and outriders allowed the Amasynian invaders to secure victory despite advancing into unfamiliar territory with inferior numbers.
Lothaine Expedition, AI 1364 - An attempt by Duke Belloc to reclaim the riches of lost Leonais by brute force of arms.
Mythago Reach, AI 1033 - In haste to supress a Grange uprising, Count Nebworth force-marches his men ten leagues overnight into unscouted rebel territory, with entirely predictable results.
Nothing so bold as a miller's shirt, that every morning collars a thief.
Waldemar

A Carefully Measured Response

Postby Glenn » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:40 am

Good fortune came to those with valor and bravery in their heart. It came to those who were well kept and handsome and beautiful, who cared about their appearance and about their manners. One good thing so often led to another. Here was the proof. Elliot was not back in Myrken for a week and here he was receiving a letter with such helpful instruction from a man who was a perfect stranger. When morning came, he rushed to his Lady so that she might assist him in drafting a response. Her help was invaluable in curtailing some of his literary failings and tendency for endless run-on sentences. It took five attempts (two of which were centered around the word 'syllabus') but this was the almost perfect final product sent to the mill.

Mister Waldemar,

I cannot thank you enough for your letter. My Lady, Rhaena Olwak, thanks you as well and it is with her assistance that I draft this response to you. Her regard for you only grows now that she sees your willingness to help educate the young people of Myrken Wood. As for me, I want you to know that I deeply appreciate your kindness in this matter. That you spent time to select a syllabus for me will prove very valuable.

These are unfortunate holes in my previous education which took place far away from here and in difficult circumstances, but I assure you that they are subjects that interest me greatly. Strategy especially is a keen interest of mine. One cannot simply charge into situations unprepared, especially when dealing with superior forces. My skill in reading is ever improving and by delving into these texts, I am sure that I will grow as a person and as an educated young man even more quickerly.

with great gratitude,
Sir Elliot Gahald
Glenn
Co-Founder

Return to The Broken Dagger