Same Old Song and Dance

Re: Same Old Song and Dance

Postby Jirai » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:31 am

Now this, this was interesting. It was rare enough for Jirai to find someone less stable than she was. Perhaps it would be amusing to start pushing and pushing at this one's sanity. Perhaps.

One. Two. No, nevermind that. Who really cared? "...I believe you have very little idea what I wanted with my list. Glenn Burnie's opinion also has very little to do with its success. You are correct, of course, in surmising that you yourself are not at all relevant."

Shadows. What now? She stared for a moment. "There are no shadows in the Underdark. Glenn Burnie ought to know that." Then she giggled. "It's lovely not having shadows, you know. Demons, though, there are those. Would you like to see? You being so eager to hunt demons and all. Oh, I could show you some. And not all as far away as the Underdark."
Jirai
Op

Postby Glenn » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:09 am

"Surmising." he let the word fall from his lips. Four. Surmise. That's what he did. Detectives detected. Surmisers surmised. And he was right. Of course he was right. He was drinking the holy water, wasn't he? Meant that maybe there was something holy about him. Four sips. In the right. Stop the demons. "Big word." Demons everywhere. Watch the shadows. Karolinger'll be back. He should tell someone that, shouldn't he?

Despite the flask being watered down, he had been drinking from it far more than usual, had been using a stronger proof of alcohol to keep the kick. Maybe it was a bit too strong, despite his high tolerance. He had to tell someone. "Karolinger will be back. But we'll be ready for him this time. Demon possessed. Three heads. Walking on little legs. You'll see. I'll tell you and you'll damn well listen."

He looked at her, into the darkness, sipped at his flask. Looked at her with clearer eyes. She had a lead. That's what she was saying. A clue. He followed the clues. He surmised. Detected. "Show me." Finally said, gruffly. Had to follow the leads.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Jirai » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:43 am

The real reason that Lentham did not have any idea what Jirai's goals were was that Jirai herself likely had no idea. The woman operated on chaos and instinct, nothing so rational as goals, except in their vaguest form. So be cautious with your surmising, detective.

She didn't really care about his demon-ranting, particularly as regarded Karolinger. Given a certain stable her esteemed mother kept, a little thing like heads wandering around with legs seemed rather mundane. The man seemed obsessed with demons though, for whatever matter.

"Show you?" She giggled. "Why should I? You work for one, you know. How else do you think he made it back here?"
Jirai
Op

Postby Glenn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:56 am

"The Chief Constable?" Lentham looked at her with bloodied, sodden eyes. This was usually a man who made a strength out of his spirits. Things had been very different recently. So very different. "Hn. Maybe. Lost a bit of weight. Seems himself though. Hardly think that.." Why would she giggle about that anyway? Oh. Not what she meant at all. "Burnie." And a nod for her there. It was a thought, a real thought.

He almost seemed enthusiastic. "My thought exactly." Elementary, and all that! Perhaps he could make a detective out of Jirai after all. "Weird since he came back from down there. Different too. First a cane. Then no cane. That stupid smile. No smile. Became Governor and so on." Nodding slowly, hesitantly. "Did what I had to, then. Spit holy water in his face just last week. Checks out fine." So matter-of-fact as if that's the way an investigation should go. "Why do you think I got saddled with talking with you?"
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Jirai » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:17 am

Jirai giggled about everything. Like what he just said. "And that's enough to convince you?" She returned skeptically. Evidently it was, and so she needed to toss some confusion into the matter. "I suppose you've taken to spitting in his face every so often, right? As in, since a certain head grew legs and wandered away?" She sighed and shoot her head. "You're quite a fool, you know."
Jirai
Op

Postby Glenn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:14 pm

"Why would I be spitting at someone before demon heads started walking around." Maybe he wouldn't make a detective out of her after all? This wasn't going well. She was trying to lead him astray. Really, there was only one thing to do now. Maybe this WAS a demon plot after all. Maybe she was at the center of it. That giggle. Those beady eyes. Damn leathers. Maybe she couldn't lead him anywhere interesting but to his doom. Not because she was drow, but because she was a demon who looked like a drow.

Only one way to find out. He took another sip, a nice long one, and then stepped forward, attempting to spit all over her.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Jirai » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Really, where did he think she'd lead him? This is -Jirai.- And because it is Jirai, she is reacting the very moment he steps forward, spinning smoothly back so that whatever it was the man spat at her met her cloak. "It wants to play!" She crowed and cackled, not stopping her spin as she took a pull from her own flask and promptly spat it back at him. That was just distraction, though, from the dagger flying from her other hand.
Jirai
Op

Postby Glenn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:46 am

Lentham never spit lightly. Demons everywhere, after all. It was necessary. Four. Four. Four was half of Eight! Eight was the Eight! She wasn't a demon. She was half of one, and he'd see her half burnt with the holy water. Too quick though. "Hnn." That would be the sound of the dagger grazing his arm. He had moved, thrown himself really, but she was quicker than he. "Half demon! I see through you! Mother was a demon-sucking witch! Four indeed!" The blackjack slipped into his hand and he charged forth. That it was bathed, daily, in that holy water/alchohol mixture only gave it a strange sheen and stranger smell.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Glenn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:46 am

Lentham never spit lightly. Demons everywhere, after all. It was necessary. Four. Four. Four was half of Eight! Eight was the Eight! She wasn't a demon. She was half of one, and he'd see her half burnt with the holy water. Too quick though. "Hnn." That would be the sound of the dagger grazing his arm. He had moved, thrown himself really, but she was quicker than he. "Half demon! I see through you! Mother was a demon-sucking witch! Four indeed!" The blackjack slipped into his hand and he charged forth. That it was bathed, daily, in that holy water/alchohol mixture only gave it a strange sheen and stranger smell.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Jirai » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:00 am

Fours and Eights and oh, but wasn't Lentham even more insane than Jirai? What hilarity that was, and so the woman was giggling again, even though the man moved enough to mostly avoid her thrown blade. And might not that answer another question? The dagger had been aimed to do more than wound, after all.

"Half-demon? I'm a drow, you thrice-damned fool." Really, not all that much difference when you came down to it. He charged, but she was quick and light on her feet, spinning aside in a smooth motion. A shrug brought her crossbow into her hands and she continued skittering backwards, clearly trying to get enough distance to bring the weapon into play.
Jirai
Op

Postby Glenn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:05 am

Lentham wasn't going to charge into attack. Knew what the weapon did though. Stared her down is what he did instead. Just stared, as if she had two heads. No, Four. "Not a demon? Can be a drow and a demon both." Simple statement. Simple shrug. "Don't think you killed the Marshall though. Guess we'll find out if Berdini dies." What could he do? She was too fast. Could try cutting the distance, but she'd shoot in him that time. Was just human.

"Not going to shoot me now, though." A shrug as he started to back away. "Girl like you. You want to see what happens next." Then, with a suspicious look. An evil eye. "Unless you're a demon, I reckon. Then you'd shoot me."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Jirai » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:50 am

Lentham was -stupid.- She'd expect him to charge in, and the fact that he does not is momentarily off-putting. She stares at him as he babbles, words which made absolutely no sense to her but the sound of his voice -was- immensely annoying. "Stop. Talking. Already!"

She pulled the trigger.
Jirai
Op

Postby Glenn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:56 am

Rocks. Dust. Stone.

Magic.

Crossbow needed be charged. Lentham didn't know that. Saved his life. Lentham wasn't in a position to care. It was a barrage. Bruising, battering, breaking; quick hard remnants of the earth pounding into his body. Pelting onslaught, forcing him into the air, back, taking him along with the steady stream.

Magic.

Pain. Sand, dirt in mouth. He tried to cough but the brunt had hit him low. Breath was gone. Air everywhere around him as he sailed through it but none for his lungs. Dirt, earth, and then water.

Lentham, surrounded by stones, hit the water with a splash. The blast from the crossbow had knocked him sixty feet. Water filled his lungs instead. Then blackness.

Earth, Water, Blackness...

and then fire.

A burning building.

Fire and demons.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Previous

Return to The Broken Dagger