Few and Faithful

Few and Faithful

Postby Malaroth » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:57 pm

Osric Storth closed the door behind him and peered about the faces collected in the crowded room. That the room was indeed crowded was a good sign, despite the lack of cheer upon those expressions that caught his own. Each visage had been worn and faded, as if seeing the burning wreckage of the knighthood ever-sprawled before them, still feeling the heat rolling over them, still watching the Ashfiend slaughter a path through their comrades.

It had been an excellent teacher, that horrid evening. It had taught them the brutality of their foes here in Myrken. It had taught them the grim necessity of their service and duty to Myrken Wood. If the monster could best a defended knighthood, what could it do, conceivably, to Myrkentown proper? What could it do to their own families if left unchecked?

And not just the Ashfiend, but any of the notorious villains who yet plagued their world? For while the enemies often amassed, often attacked, and always seemed to replenish their ranks - it was yet their world, each crowned in the remembered faces of parents, siblings, children and friends.

In the middle of the assembled survivors, knights and squires, their rested a circle of swords. Each lay with its point in the center of a circle that numbered nearly fifty and, with every few passed heartbeats, the steel circle drew and held a ponderous gaze. Sir Silent added his gaze as well, hardened into a mild squint, while he uncrossed his arms and cleared his throat for attention.

Any vocalization from the knight was water for a starving man. As their weighted sorrow fell upon his shoulders, and searched his weathered features, he caught several glances in particular and held them, nodding in silent acceptance of their grief, and welcoming of their battered spirits.

"The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep," he offered firmly, flatly, and simply. No need, he knew, to embellish the mantra for the knights. No need to remind them of cost when they had already learned so much of it that they would never forget.

"He lays down his life for the sheep."
I wish I had a reason
My flaws are open season
For this I gave up trying
One good turn deserves my dying
Malaroth

Return to The Broken Dagger