A Hat Half Full

Postby Glenn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Burnie was no longer making threats. That was something. Still, his smile was frustratingly unchanging. There was just no reading him save for that little outburst and laugh from before. That seemed like ages ago now considering how comfortable he seemed in that chair. "By the by, how did she capture you? And how did you convince the so-called "Lady Hat" to release you the first time..."

Burnie's voice lowered. Perhaps that was the other way of telling. His smile was static but the voice changed ever so slightly depending on his mood. Or maybe that was all a controlled ruse. Still, now he seemed just a bit more impatient. He had so many questions too. Burnie's official title was Judiciary Investigator, though he often said Judiciary Inquisitor if anyone asked these days. He so rarely got to really fulfill the definition of that role. "annnnnd why are you here in MYKREN, Tennant, not in the cell. Though keep answering like that and I know why you might STAY in the cell."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Tolleson » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:20 pm

He'd riled himself up and wasn't the better for it, especially considering Burnie with his unchanging smile and frustrating stoicism. "Look! I told you I was her captive, she is here and thus I am; because this is where Genny is and Genny has the book!" How much more clear could he be, it was frustrating.

He turned and abruptly kicked the rotting bench with a good amount of force, taking some of the rotton wood out from the force of impact. "The first time. I joined her willingly," he admitted, losing some of his steam as he glanced to the side as if he regretted it in some ways. He wasn't about to explain that bit unless it was absolutely necessary.
Tolleson

Postby Glenn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:37 pm

"So you're saying that you sold out your sister to her?" Burnie was calm as ever even as he made perfectly reasonable points. How did this shapeshifing thief know where Genny was if not for her brother? How did she know where the book was if not for her brother? No wonder Genny turned him in so easily. "That's pretty low, Tennant."

"And all that and she's set you up as her fall guy." If Tennant was putting a show still, creating a whole new fantasy, a person other than him, then he was putting on an amazing show and Burnie wanted to see it through. It was that entertaining, and as was noted, the money was returned and Treadwell was safe. "You sell out your sister to her. She sells you out and now you're rotting here."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Tolleson » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:26 pm

"No!" The outburst came suddenly as he whipped around to deny the accusation, he looked pleadingly angry but earnest.

"I found a buyer for the book and... she wasn't supposed to be there, she was supposed to be here, safe, baking her god-be-damned pies!" This time the kick is so heavy it takes the legs off one side of the bench sending the whole, rotting, structure down into a pile of rubble.

"No," he was almost whispering and yet somehow his voice was still filled with rage as he walked away from the rubble, as much as one could walk in such a cell. He turned back and kicked the rubble again, uselessly, there was nothing left to destroy of the lopsided bench.
Tolleson

Postby Jirai » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:08 am

Her entrance was quiet, a few words murmered to guards, light steps and the gentle rustle of skirts. For this purpose, the woman had left her veil on, face hidden behind the thin fabric. Her right hand was gloved, but her left was not, the dark surface of the unnatural limb rippling with reds and oranges every time she moved.

"Ah now, that poor bench never did anything to you, did it?" She asked, her voice light with amusement as she looked from Glenn Burnie to the man in the cell. "I suppose I could find another for you, if you get tired of standing."
And though scary is exciting
Nice is different than good.
Jirai
Op

Postby Glenn » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:19 am

Glenn looked to the man and then looked to newcomer. He smiled to her, a very different smile than Tennat had received up until now. Then, with no visible warning, he brushed past her, quite literally, their shoulders touching for a quick moment and slipped out quietly. It was stealthy even, silent, doubly impressive considering that his cane did not even touch ground. When the prisoner might look back up in some attempt to make sense of who had just spoken, Burnie would gone from the room out through the shadows and only Rhaena Olwak would remain.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Tolleson » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:05 am

Glaring at the rubble he barely even noticed the soft rustle, the murmured words, it wasn't until she spoke that he finally looked up, barely in time to see the subtle interaction between the two. His scowl lingered, but not long, either out of etiquette for being around a lady or for the sheer surprise of a lady being here. She was veiled and yet still beautiful, her hand especially intriguing. Both her ease on the eyes and the unnatural limb gave him an almost gawking pause.

"Apologies Miss," his anger at Burnie's accusations tinged his words, polite as they were. A bow of his head was offered, and a curious, suspicious look shot to where Burnie once was. Whatever this man played at, he did not understand.

"I'm certain I've done it a kindness. To let it continue in its rotten state would have only prolonged its misery," his quip ought to have been lighthearted but it was soured by his similarly rotten mood.

As for her offer of another seat, "I suppose I'd be grateful for that," he smiled, or tried to. "But surely you are not the matron of chairs in this," he was able to grin, if only a little as he looked her over, "fine establishment."
Tolleson

Postby Jirai » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:22 am

She was quite a sight, it was true. As usual, her clothing was exceptional, brightly colored skirts enhanced with detailed embroidery. "Matron of chairs? Hardly. But that doesn't mean that I cannot get some. A moment, if you will." She stepped out the door briefly, presumably speaking to someone on the other side before re-entering. "It will be a few minutes, I'm afraid. I do apologize for the conditions. It seems that comfort is not a priority here. Most uncivilized, don't you think?" She laughed lightly before continuing. "Ah, but I forget my manners. I am Rhaena Olwak, and you, as I understand it, are Genny's brother Tennant - may I call you so? - and you seem to have a remarkable ability to infuriate Mister Burnie."
Jirai
Op

Postby Tolleson » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:51 am

And here he had been, perfectly content to destroy the thing and sleep on rotten splinters reminding him just how much he was beginning to dislike Mister Burnie. Her laugh, her smile, they were refreshing, but he didn't reply to her question about how uncivilized the conditions were. Truth be told they weren't bad at all, not compared to Thessilane. Of course, the prisons of the city were over crowded, reeking of putrid waste, decay, and filth; where one innocent man disappeared without trial just to make room for another. But why say this, why rob the lady of her gracious kindness.

"Lady Olwak, you are a surely a dream," he was being polite, a little more than polite - truly, she could have been. Perhaps -Mister- Burnie knocked him unconscious and he lie in the pile of rot imagining so lovely a lady. No, his imagination wasn't this good.

To her request he nodded, "You may... are you certain he isn't like that all the time?" He'd ask, doubtfully, but with a bit more of a smile and he rubbed the fleshy part of his collar where Burnie had jabbed his cane and he stupidly pressed into it. They'd goaded each other on, but no reason to share that.
Tolleson

Postby Jirai » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:24 pm

And no need to share it, given that Rhaena was precisely aware of exactly what had happened in this room prior to her arrival. Not that she would be sharing that little bit of information, of course. "He's normally quite enjoyable to be around. Unless he sees a threat to Myrken, of course. He's worked very hard to make this town a better place." She smoothed her skirts out before taking a seat on the chair that Aloisious had earlier occupied, ankles crossed demurely. "What did you say, to irritate him so, if you don't mind my asking?"
Jirai
Op

Postby Tolleson » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:41 pm

"I can tell," his tone was almost sarcastic, except that he very much believed Glenn thought he was doing what was best for the town. He could absolutely see that, Burnie himself surely had no business in the lower cells. It was likely neither his job or duty to see to this thief's interrogation personally, but then again, who was he to say.

Tennant's hand would drop away from the sore spot on his chest, both hands grasping the bars as he squared himself to look at Rhaena. Sitting across from him in the cell, his green eyes dark as a summer leaf's shadows, taking in her delicate movements.

What had he said to stir Burnie up, no idea; what Burnie had said to irritate him, that he knew. "The truth," there was a half scoff, but even he found his 'truth' hard to swallow.
Tolleson

Postby Jirai » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Glenn Burnie had business wherever he chose to have business. As did Rhaena Olwak. She would smile, not that the expression was visible beneath her veil. "The truth can be unpleasant at times." She said. "Or unexpected, which is sometimes worse." There was a brief pause before she continued. "There are, of course, ways to be sure that a person is speaking true. If you'd like, your words can be verified, but perhaps you might tell me what your truth is, first?" Amusement began to flavor her voice. "I might be able to discern just what it was that had Mister Burnie about ready to strangle you."
Jirai
Op

Postby Tolleson » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:59 pm

"Do you think my account will have changed?" He wasn't badgering her, his eyes caught a glint from the lantern light as the looked at her expectantly. The light flicked away as his face dropped and he sighed.

"Very truly, lovely lady... The Hat is a shape changer, a shifter. She is after a map from a book I tried to steal... one Genny -had- and I can only presume, has no longer." Was this sufficient, this was what he'd told Glenn. Albeit the pushy, ever smiling, cane wielding politician did not receive so succinct or polite an answer.

"What would you have me say?" It was an off-hand comment, rhetorical or at least intended to be, but he looked to her again, expecting a reply.
Tolleson

Postby Jirai » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:23 pm

"I wasn't here the first time." She pointed out. "Doubtless Mister Burnie will tell me what he heard you say, but I find second hand information to sometimes be less than accurate. Ones perceptions tend to blur what one hears, don't you think?" Without awaiting a response, she continued. "Why is it you think that Genny does not have this book any longer?" His last question, however, earned a good-natured laugh. "Tennant, I'd not presume to have you say anything. I'm simply here to hear your story - and offer you the chance for verification, if Glenn Burnie does not believe you."
Jirai
Op

Postby Tolleson » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:01 pm

When she said it, everything sounded perfectly reasonable, sensible, and just. And so he would only nod; indeed, verification, not a cross examination. "My apologies, I forget myself. -Mister- Burnie suggests I sold out or used Genny, but it isn't so." Looking down and away, anger bubbles below the surface but it is quelled the moment he returns his eyes to Rhaena. Composure is regained out of necessity, he will finish this story.

"I've only ever tried to keep her safe," his voice begins to loose some of the composure he's been fighting to maintain, almost pleading in his conviction.

His eyes return to the floor as if on it he can read the answer to her question, somehow its clearer there than in her eyes where Burnie's accusations continue to burn and sting his eyes.

"I cannot say for certain," that much he had already eluded to, "the night that instrument was stolen, there was a second party, one much smaller with Hat herself. They went to that place Genny had been employed," there was a particular pause before he spoke again, as if he'd remembered, regretted, or couldn't quite find the words, "that... shoddy tavern along the road."
Tolleson

PreviousNext

Return to Barracks / Gaol