The Road to Snowstill

The Road to Snowstill

Postby Glenn » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:41 am

It had been an abrupt reunion between a knight gone astray and a squire that never quite was and that somehow still remained. Gahald and Wynsee, scheming together, had proven to be uniquely clumsy, and it was only through the best of intentions and the inherent grace of a young man who had learned in the hardest of ways, the benefits of passivity. It was ultimately unsatisfying, for there were too many lingering issues floating in the air. The morning grew into a pleasant early afternoon, perhaps, but one where nothing was resolved. Were it a book, it would be the title page and not even the table of contents.

The plans made were only an agreement to make more plans. Except for one thing: the following day Elliot Gahald and steadfast Cherny would travel to Snowstill to see the work that had been started. They would stay the night. They would return. Then there could be the planning of more plans, large and small.

The seeing was important. Gahald's sense of norms, of values, was porous at best; he admitted that and vaguely understood the reason behind it. What he was coming to understand more and more was that his notion of goals was subsequently frayed. Cherny would be able to tell him if the endeavor, so simple, so straightforward, so morally uncontroversial, such a basic and simple good, was worth the time and effort. This much had been discussed between them during that first re-encounter.

The travel, it was agreed, would be a good thing as well. As the two met, as they began their journey, it was Gahald that asked the first question. "We did not speak much of you, Cherny. Food, shelter, clothing, purpose. How have you maintained all of these things in my absence?" That had been a small part of why Gahald had left, the smallest. When the Lady Olwak lived, he was well-funded. After her death, he remained quite well funded through patrons still loyal, and as things turned darker in Myrken, increasingly by selling the more ceremonial of his regalia (which was most of it, given Olwak's proclivities). "I know what my life has been like these last few years and I think you can imagine it as well, but I am sorry to say I cannot do the same for you. I would like to be able to, though."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Return to The Forest & Lake