Bookwyrms

Re: Bookwyrms

Postby BrokenDreamer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:35 pm

With fingers entangled with Descant's own, Dali too will prepare to rise as Drache does -- only, instead of setting aside the wine, she downs the contents of the glass swiftly. Waste not, want not. She would have simply brought it with her but last thing she wishes to do is accidentally slosh a drop upon any precious books she may soon be handling. It seems that it would be a swift way to get on the bad side of the Red. It was then that the cat strolled into the room, the feline gaining a curious look from Dali as it begins to speak. "A pleasure to meet you, Wanotreyx," she responds with a pleasant smile. "I believe I may have seen you before, in the tavern."

With introductions out of the way, she will follow Drache's lead through her labyrinth home ... and the colder it got as they moved forward, the closer she pressed against Descant to ward off the drop in temperature. "Their opinions will never change if we do not strive to help change them. If we give up ..." Slim shoulders give a small shrug. Oh, she is well aware of her advantage for acceptance, looking well and perfectly human ... but the population at large knew what she was by now and no longer looked at her in quite the same way. "From what Glenn has told me, there has been a bad history between Myrken and past dragons. It is still a fresh and painful memory for them. I think that your assistance in this matter will go a long ways in helping to change their opinions though. That is the wonderful thing about opinions. With some effort, they can be changed." Oh Dali, the glass is always full with you. Not half full. Full.

With the chiming of bells, Dali steps into the library after Drache -- very gratefully accepting the heavy cloak loaned to her. As the lights go up, the woman's eyes grow wide and round within their kohl framing. "Oh my ..." are the only words she is able to mutter. "I don't remember the last time I was given the chance to witness so many books in a single room." Descant had quite the library but this? This was Amazing with a capitol A.

"I think ... " she begins slowly. "We should compile what information we each know and have observed of Catch. See if any of that sparks something that will point us into a direction to begin our research." Fingers twitch, itching to touch all the volumes of knowledge crammed upon the shelves. Imagine all the old stories that are tucked away, hidden here and there among all the volumes!
BrokenDreamer

Postby Raven » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:52 pm

A talking cat? Why not. Des offers a polite smile and a wave of a gloved hand to the feline turned babysitter and then would happily be whisked away on their trek to the library. There'd be a bit of a wince and a flat look at Dali's mention of their being a hopeful change of public opinion with Drache's participation in this venture. Hopefully any assistance he lent in the venture would be completely overlooked if not stricken completely from record. Des much preferred to remain as much in the background as possible when it came to this sort of thing. Only time he wanted to be in the spot light was when it came to bardly things.

Hey! To be fair, Des' library was quite accomplished for one with much more limited means and lifespan. Sheesh. Plus it's not like he could afford or maintain such lavish styling for his own collection. That didn't stop him from looking around like a child in a candy store. He just wanted to dive right in and forget about the whole horn business. There were likely many, many stories here for him to devour. Twas a shame that they did in fact have a specific thing to search for. As in most things, the bard is happy to give way to Dali and let her take point on things. "My exposure to Catch has probably been near as much as your own, Dali-sweet. Outside of a few instances where he ruined things. Drache probably has a better grasp of what the whole deal with the tentacles was at the Ball."
Raven

Postby Drache » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Their voices sound loud and flat in the book-filled hall. There was a faint sussuration under the noise of their own movements and the silk-snapping of the weird magelight that lit the place. It spread from one side of the room to the other, skipping some sections of books completely in its path. It was as if some of the books were Aware.

The Red had mixed feelings about inviting her friends here. One the one claw, their genuine appreciation made her nearly preen with pleasure. But the eager looks filled her with a protective and possessive jealousy. They were hers! All hers! She stopped a growl that had been building in her throat with a sharp click of her teeth coming together. She resolved herself to take this one step at a time, and to try her best not to fly into a rage if one of them happened to ask to borrow something.

"I hope you're right, Dali," she said, fingering the smooth shapes of a set of lore-gems nestled in a velvet box on the table. "Myrken could do far worssse than you or I."

She scowled a little, considering the Copper's tactics. Answering Des, "I have ssseen much but underssstand little when it comes to Catch. He reminds me of Aryxiar, a creature I onccce met who was the offssspring of a cccelessstial dragon. A goddesss. He and Catch ssstrike me as remarkably alike. There is the sssame...power. The sssame sssort of madnesss. I think the tentacles are jussst part of his power. Like my fire." Her tail rippled uncomfortably at the horrors that lurked in her past.

"I believe that Catch is sssignificantly ancient. He looksss like a man sssometimes, but alssso sssometimes like a unicorn. The potential he weilds sssmells dangerousss. Earth-rending. Sssomething like that doesn't jussst crop up over night. I think we should ssstart with hissstories. Wars over more than jussst land and titles and bloodlines. Look for legends that repeat themssselves."

She prowled out into the center of the domed library and one of her thick talons clicked thoughtfully on the floor. "Don't open any book with a braided black wire wrapped around it," she inssstructed. "Sssome of them can change their titles to deccceive and might sssuck you in. Or worssse."

Using her longest wing phalanges to point, she indicated several whole sections that could be eliminated in their search. "You can ignore the books there, there, and the ssscrolls there. Those are either ssspellbooks or too foreign to be of any ussse. The books on thisss side should be more promisssing. I purchased many in Meadowford and have acquired the ressst through the merchantsss who deal in Myrkentown."

And with that she headed towards the indicated shelves and got to work, filling her scaled arms with tomes and carrying them back to the table.
Drache

Previous

Return to The Forest & Lake