Who Turned Off The Blight

Lilani

Postby Drache » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:41 am

Hikoti led the way, his black paws nearly silent on the leaf-strewn, uneven and frosty ground. The wind gusted chill and humourless through the bare trees, ruffling his shaggy fur and tugging at his ears as he frequently turned to check if she was still following. The wall of thorns loomed dark and forbidding as he led them close, stretching into the woods as far as the eyes could see in either direction. It seemed impenetrable, the cruel thorns black under the cover of dark glossy leaves. And then suddenly the wolf was gone, slinking under a low branch and down a path only he could see. This left Genny quite alone, not including the pair of pied ravens on a tree overhead who were remarkably silent as they watched with shining black eyes.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. - J. R. R. Tolkien
Drache

Genny

Postby Tolleson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:30 am

Genny was not now nor had she ever been a magical being, exceedingly aware of her surroundings or one of greater than average intellect. Well, perhaps by Myrken standards, but that was a story that spoke to the neglect, poverty, and sheer numbers of farmers permeating the area. So it was with some measure of wonder than she watched the strange and beautiful creature disappear into the ominous dark. The ravens watch went entirely unnoticed. Where perhaps if she had been a hunter, even a mortal being with some measure of refined observation she may have noticed them and the subtlety of the overwhelming silence. But no, as a being of instinct, a simple, stupid human, she stood shivering and staring at the cruel wall of thorns before her.

It was a less than simple moment that inclined her to return her gaze to where the fox disappeared. Brows wrinkling, keen eyes flitted from detail to detail, attempting to rationalize what lead her here or why. Then it was either the genius of curiosity or sheer stupidity which led her to near the spot, the thorns, the darkness and reach out to touch the foreboding forest. What she anticipated there was anyone's guess, but very likely she'd never seen such a forest before.
Tolleson

Lilani

Postby Drache » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:21 pm

And she likely hadn't seen anything like what happened next. With a stretching, creeping crackle of vines moving much quicker than they aught, they peeled back, retreating into the dense wall until a tunnel appeared. A warm light became visible at the end.

No self-respecting Druid would live in a city for long, and that Lilani had picked such a secluded and wild place wouldn't have been surprising to anyone who understood the Druid's creed. The tunnel of thorns opened onto a wide meadow of soft grass untouched by the winter's chill. Hills rolled gently and nearby there was the chuckle of a creek over soft round stones.

Massive oaks with sprawling roots and heavy limbs ringed the perimeter, and in the crown of the greatest of them was a nest-like treehouse. Across the way a dark hallow under the roots of another tree hinted at a subterranean dwelling of some kind. The air was strong with the scent of plants and herbs, and an explosion of glossy greenery near the water could only be an herb garden. Many of the plants Genny could surely recognize, others she definitely would not. A greenish translucent Wood Wose drifted in and out of the haphazard rows, tending the many plants.

On the crest of the hill a ring of rugged boulders stood up from the ground, their rough faces carved with many runes. Between them a deep pool with a breeze-ruffled surface reflected the cloudy sky above. A Stellar Jay pecked at moss on the northern-most boulder. Winter seemed a far-off concern here, reminding all of its presence with the occasional stiff breeze and a scent of snow in the air.

And nearby, with grass-stains on her boots and dirt on her pretty face, her long sunny hair hanging in tangled strands, her back against a tree trunk with her fingers tapping gently on the whorled surface of her oaken quarterstaff, Lilani greeted her first human visitor in quite some time. Behind her, Hikoti had settled down on a bed of leaves and watched concernedly.

"You've traveled far to see me," Lilani observed cheerfully, as though she wouldn't expect a city-dweller to have a reason to do so. "What is it you need?" Genny didn't appear to her to be in poor health, which cut down the list of probabilities down. "Care for some tea?"
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. - J. R. R. Tolkien
Drache

Genny

Postby Tolleson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Thorny vines came to life, but all alone, at least a day deep into the woods, and lost; was it any surprise that the red-head recoiled until she tripped on gods-knew-what and fell back into the mushy rot of the decaying leaves. However, the mounting fear subsided when the path lay clear. No demon or wild, no blood-thirsty thing had pounced from the path as perhaps she feared it might. The warm and glowing path actually looked rather inviting. Curiosity refreshed and a fair bit of fear shed, she rose first to her knees, brushed scuffed hands over the dirt stained fabric of her heavy traveling skirts and began onward. It would be slow, careful and with timid steps that she came into the summer land.

Genny had seen beautiful places before, the seaside of her hometown one of the loveliest. But the pure splendor before her now far exceeded any vision she'd been privilege to in the past. Alight with the vibrancy and life that flowed her green eyes reflected vivid hues as if they were always meant to stare upon such beauty; shining, wide and glistening they darted from one feature to another, amazed. Such a paradise seemed leagues away from the murky decay of Myrken Wood still clinging to her skirts. It was a silent few moments that she stood in awe of all that was around her. Still, healthy but worn, brown and orange leaves were tangled in yet complimented the brilliant red of her short hair. Surely she would have looked a fright to any other city-person, but Genny hardly seemed to notice, in fact, she hardly even noticed the cheerful Lilani until the girl spoke.

"Tea?" Repeating the question she seemed momentarily quite stunned that tea even exist in this world, which could not be part of the place she had just come from.

"Certainly," as some sense began to come to her and she would near, unarmed and certainly lacking a threatening presence. "I was trying to find the... find the ... well.. whoever has been healing the trees," there was a look of desperation about her, Burnie had entrusted her to the mission. And if spring came without bloom, or summer without crop, Myrken would truly begin to feel the pain of the Blight.
Tolleson

Lilani

Postby Drache » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:35 pm

If there was one place in Myrken Wood other than Renea's greenhouses where Catch's tropical flowers could grow year-round, it was here. There was a hum of life in everything. It seemed a hallowed place. A rustling behind Genny announced the closing of the temporary tunnel in the supernatural hedgerow. The two pied crows appeared in the canopy overhead. A canopy that seemed ever-changing as tree limbs moved of their own accord.

"Well come on then," invited the petite tree guardian, pushing off from the tree and gesturing with the end of her staff towards a clearing in front of the underground hut. "I'll make you a cup and you can tell me why you're looking for me. I'm not the only Druid around but I seem to be the only one healing the woods these days."

There were moss-covered roots available for sitting and a small campfire already going. Lilani left Genny briefly, disappearing into the earth for a moment to fetch the implements for tea. The leaves were only as old as it had taken them to be dried and ground, and soon there was a hot cup for each of them.

Something buzzed as it appeared out of the ground dwelling, carrying a leather pouch in little hands made of twigs as it flew on wings of orange maple leaves. The entire creature was only a foot tall and appeared to be some kind of tiny golum made entirely of slowly decaying vegetably matter. It attempted to give Lilani the pouch, but ended up pouring most of the raw sugar all over the ground.

Lilani snatched the pouch and then pointed her finger at the animated pile of compost, chastising it soundly. The seriousness of her tone lost as she couldn't help but giggle a bit. "Dratted bogun! Clean that up, you silly thing." The creature attempted to do so, but ended up just stirring the sugar into the dirt with a stick, buzzing moodily.

"Boguns," Lilani griped good-naturedly. "More trouble than they're worth." She presented the tea and sugar to Genny and then sat down cross-legged with her own cup, watching the redhead expectantly. Her staff remained standing all on its own, and Hikoti the fox-wolf crept up to sit nearby, watching.
Drache

Postby Tolleson » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:01 pm

There was something delicate to the way Genny moved about the wild space, as if any motion lacking care and complete control might shatter the pristine environment. Her feet lifted and fell slowly and carried her thoughtfully inside and then to the mossy-root seat. It was just as well that the girl disappeared, Genny continued to look about with the wonder befitting a small child. It was simply astonishing to her in every way, to pin point a single detail would have been impossible. Her eyes, flicking between one fascination to the next until her company returned.

There were several moments of astounded silence. The staff, the creature, the sugar and the watching fox-wolf; her eyes may well be stuck wide. Blinking then to break the spell she managed to take the tea, almost mechanically. Fair few things she had seen that were so wondrous were also so enchanting and pleasant. Really, most of the strange and magical things she had seen in her lifetime had been terrible curses, blood-thirsty creatures, necromancers, and black magic.

"I have seen you before... at the Remedium I think?" But she was quite sure.

"May I ask ... why do you heal the trees?" She'd ask, though she had other purposes more urgent.
Tolleson

Postby Drache » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Perhaps Lilani experienced some amusement at Genny's reaction to her humble home. Having the company of this kind was quite a novel thing. But the Druid was patient, for now, and settled back to sip her tea and wait. She didn't have to wait for long.

"Yes, you did. I was there the night you came in with that handsome young man and the half-dragon. I spent a few months helping out when it seemed there was a plague of undead running about and spirits refusing to move on."

At the second question the pretty ageless elfling reached up to tuck her bead-adorned hair behind her ears before clasping her hands together and affecting a rather philosophical expression. "Everything..." she began, her green and blue eyes looking out across her little Grove, "exists in a delicate balance. A Druid's path is to protect that balance and give a voice to those without one, like trees and animals. I heal not just trees, but the land and water as well. If you're asking why I healed these trees," and she gestured to the forest around them, "it was because their plight was not a natural one. There is a difference between a forest that becomes a swamp over the centuries and one that decays rapidly after someone's foul black meddling."

"I realize that the ways of my kind are not usually well-known, but I trust that your journey here was more than to simply ask me what it is that I do and why?"
Drache

Postby Tolleson » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Even the slightest mention of James made Genny blush and smile. He was handsome and it was clear that she thought so even now, perhaps picturing him in her head at the mere mention.

Her smile doesn't so much fade as simply begin to drop off as she listens intently to the Druid. Understanding the idea if not quite grasping the importance or necessity of the concept. Humans hardly had the same grasp on things like this. But she does her best and seems sensitive about it.

With a solemn nod she allowed Lilani to finish her explanation and even ask her question. Continuing to nod, this time a little more fiercely, she would continue, "yes, quite right. Apologies, I was just... curious."

"You say the Blight is unnatural... I've found as much in my studies but I... I.. haven't found a way to cure it." There was passion, concern, even a sort of pleading as she held the tea, almost frozen.
Tolleson

Postby Drache » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:42 pm

The Druid sipped her tea while the boggart buzzed and bumped around, occasionally feeding deadfall to the small fire. A small blue jay arrived with a flash of wings, perching on Lilani's shoulder and idly pecking at her hair.

The wood wose, which was some sort of pale tree spirit, tended the herb garden, picking and plucking and pruning into an assortment of woven baskets. A crisp breeze blew through with all the sounds of wind moving through branches and buffeting off the grass. The illusion of summerland was hard to maintain, even for a Druid.

"Curiosity is not a sin," she remarked with a grin. "Most people think we are just witches in the woods. Others expect us to tend their crops for them and are quick to blame us when they fail. It's a little refreshing to have someone actually stop to ask."

"A foul poison like this would eventually wick away, leaving the forest fairly normal except for isolated patches of foul bogland. But it would take centuries, and the area would in no way be able to support Myrken Town. Curing it any faster would take certain skills, be they arcane or gods-given. I'm not the only one who can do it, but right now it seems I am the only one who is."

There wasn't any bitterness in her tone as she said it, but she did sigh a little bit. Genny was the second person who had come to her with questions about the Blight.
Drache

Postby Tolleson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:49 am

Genny did not know of anyone else who had come before. All that mattered is that she was here now, with the mission Burnie had given her and concerns of her own to compel the quest.

The people of Myrken lived on farm and trade, if farm failed trade would sustain the people, get them through the winter, for now. But the next and those that followed, the economic forecast was less assured. Even in good times people died of starvation and illness, in Myrken especially; where horrible deaths ought to have become part the town motto. It was a curious thing how the wood and its health rippled and radiated out to affect everyone, even those who didn't 'live off the land'.

"I suspected as much... magic the cause is rarely something sheer will or nature can cure..." For a moment she paused and analyzed the words the Druid spoke with care. "But you know a way?"

There was hope in her, pouring out of her yet somehow contained in her still frozen posture, an effect quite common for anyone come uncertain news.

"Will you help them," perhaps she meant the trees, knowing to whom she spoke. Perhaps she simply meant the people of Myrken. Then again, perhaps it was everyone. "... Please, or tell us who might, if you can?"

Ever polite, even when pleading.
Tolleson

Postby Drache » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:50 am

The Druid pursed her lips a little and for a moment appeared cross. She was petite and pretty by most standards, but the power of her kind flashed behind her eyes. The jay on her shoulder got bored and flew away, watched by the kalak lounging nearby. Lilani was literally a force of nature, sipping tea quietly in the depths of the woods.

"Of course I know a way," she offered long-sufferingly. "You are the second person to seek me out and ask me to do what I am already trying to do. Like I told the Councilor, my loyalty is to the land itself. My work will benefit Myrken just as much is it will the trees and the rivers and the animals. But I am the voice of the voiceless and it's to them I am bound. If you want guarantees that the crops and the game will return in abundance after the thaw you aren't going to get it from me. Even now there are forces working against me."

Her honey-coloured brows knitted together in thought and she reached back to tuck her hair behind pointed ears. It wasn't Genny who was the sole source of her frustration, however, so her pretty and kindly face softened to make her look more like a dainty young woman again, rather than a wild tree spirit.

"At the very least I think the people of Myrken should be able to feed themselves next year without stripping the land completely. But I think I can do better than that. What if I took the time to visit some of the farmstead's specifically to help repair the damage that was done? My services will not come freely, however."
Drache

Genny

Postby Tolleson » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:45 pm

At the Druid’s flash of anger over the matter Genny flinched, just a bit as her otherwise soft and pleading face hardened into a line. She hadn’t come to Lilani specifically to fix the crop or make the people of Myrken somehow better, as if it were at all a possible task. No, she knew better than that.

But she couldn’t deny completely that she did seek Lilani’s help. Or that the people of Myrken would need it. And so she addressed what she knew she must as best she knew how.

“I… am not seeking guarantees… I … I was not even aware the Councilor had come,” nor could she imagine how he had managed all this way. Such travel seemed physically impossible.

“I would wish for you to go on and … bring a balance to this forest,” which was, clearly and without a need to be said, unbalanced and unnatural.

There was some reservation and apology in her next words, trying to be polite but reasonable as well. Perhaps Burnie would want to talk to this girl, after all he’d sent Genny to find her. “I… can’t speak on behalf of Myrken, but your bargain does not sound unreasonable, surely Glenn Burnie would hear you.” But would she come into town willingly to meet him, outside her forest paradise.

Finally taking a tentatively confident sip of her tea, Genny actually relaxed. The flavor seemed to surprise her though she said nothing, merely a smile hinted to her liking.
Tolleson

Postby Drache » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Lilani laid back on the grass and twirled her fingers idly in the grass. Soft blades of grass spiraled around her knuckles of their accord and a few of the runes on the staff nearby glimmered faint green. For a while she seemed like nothing more than a teenage girl lost in thought on the carpet of her bedroom floor.

A pine martin slithered out of the woods like a rippling furry snake. Limitless curiosity in mustelid form, the tiny carnivore sidewinded over and plucked up a carved wooden bead that had tumbled from the Druid's honey locks. A smile dawned like spring sunshine across Lilani's face and she giggled like a child.

"Oh, he didn't come here. We spoke at the Rememdium. I haven't spent much time there lately..." she trailed off, wondering how the herb garden was doing. She silently fingered the holes of a clay flute swinging from her belt.

"I have no plans to stop, if that's what you're worried about. Perhaps I should meet Mr. Glenn Burnie. Shall we go?"

And suddenly she was on her feet, staff in hand, expression eager.
Drache

Re: Who Turned Off The Blight

Postby Tolleson » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:33 pm

((sorry for the delay, continue if you like but here is my follow up - of course, assuming we're back in time, prior to Glen's promotion and the arrival of the new doctor...))

Genny had taken note in some way or another that Janessa seemed slightly more overwhelmed than usual. Another ignored letter to the academy, or, for that matter, to anyone who would listen as she requested a doctor on Myrken's behalf. But her letters seemed quite useless, after all she'd been requesting help for library for what would soon be years.

"I'm sure they could use your help... after all you did for Miss Drache ... and James."

The comment was almost off-hand, a true statement to be sure, but not without purpose. And of course, now she would suggest they leave. Finally seated, grasping tea and actually sipping it. The hot liquid hadn't managed to will itself onto her lap or face somehow, no burns or stains, trips or injuries, a minor miracle by some standards. Not to mention she had just relaxed enough to seem only mildly abashed at assuming, rather daftly, that the rotund representative of Myrken had somehow hiked into this hidden paradise.

There was a short pause as she finished her tea, a small, brief moment of relaxed happiness evident in Genny's cordial smile. As if for the first time, in a long time, things were finally going right for her.

"That you will continue... it makes me happy to hear this... truly," honest words were saturated with gratitude as she stood once again and dusted herself off. "Please, lead the way," because if Genny did there was no telling where the pair would end up. Once they returned to civilization Genny could find Burnie and begin to form a strategy, but until they were out of the forest she was as lost and hopeless as Myrken's wood was without the Druid.
Tolleson

Previous

Return to The Forest & Lake