Set to Rights

Set to Rights

Postby Treadwell » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:04 pm

Sometimes, things go too far.

Sometimes, people in control have to say, "No."

To outside viewers, Aloisius Treadwell has spent much of the last winter shivering and weak and ill, barely mobile. A man should not have to face such concerns.

In reality, though, a man should not live the life that Aloisius Treadwell lives, split into multiple entities simultaneously all claiming deity status. This has been a matter of serious concern for his Creator for some time, a matter that as of a week ago finally reached its limit. A monstrous glutton, a mother goddess, a mother sow, a mountainous body in an open plain, and a toymaker with occasional political ambitions: some of these had to go, to be severed from the others to be themselves. This multifaceted creature was threatening to lay claim to more: the Glutton's ideas of gluttony were again pushing the boundaries of ranting against its maker.

And that was frankly too much.

Within moments of this decision's being made, the mortal host of all of these entities would be struck down. The Glutton would be split from everything else, to again live in ignorance of anything but its own cavern and slop. The two mothers--of men and pigs--would be returned to their own natures, separate from the emphasis on rotundity and weight that was being forced into their worship from the ties to Tubbius.

That would leave the toymaker. . . and Tubbius. The toymaker was but a mortal man. In terms of divinity, Tubbius was largely inconsequential, head of a minor church and relatively few faithful. These could remain. But first? There must be a lesson taught.

That lesson played out over much of winter, as a recovering Aloisius faced a new reality, an emptiness, a gnawing, as he came to an understanding of what situation had been forced.

It would take until now, the thirteenth day of the second month, for Treadwell to make a proper appearance, back to a semblance of normality and ready to eat and to indulge in the communal feast at the Church of Tubbius.

Unknown to everyone else, the Tubbius Regalis has had to come to accept a new set of responsibilities and a new focus, and, in reality, he is finally accepting of this fact, ready to move forward. Everything has been set to rights.

= = = = = = = = = = =

A few quick authorial notes here:

1: I attempted to write a version of this post probably a year or two ago. It was much longer and much more complex, but it would have the same end result as above. The Internet ate the post then, and I was both furious and crushed. I've had the gist of it stuck in my head since then, but I haven't made the time to work on it since I finally made full-time at the college back in August of 2019. It had to be rewritten, but it had to be when I could get the time to do it.

2: I'll edit the Wiki posts to match the material from above, noting the separation of everything back into its component parts, when I can. I don't have time to tonight, but I will try to get it done as soon as I can.

3: This is by no means the end of Treadwell or the Church of Tubbius! However, I've long wanted to bring the tales of The Glutton, Marta, and Porcus to a close. I've not felt great about those for a long time, now, and I felt they needed to be moved past. Those threads won't be continued from here on, and those characters are effectively permanently retired.

4: I hope to be posting more again, here, soon. I finally have what is my first full-time semester without having a course overload, so we might just be seeing more Tready soon!

Thanks for reading, as always!
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Return to Myrken Wood