Official Inquest: A Draft

Official Inquest: A Draft

Postby Rance » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:42 am

On separate Inquisitory letterhead, four identical copies of an official document were scribed. One was delivered with a wax seal to Genny Tolleson with a handwritten note:

High Inq. Mna. Tolleson,

The language contained is not my own but written by several fellow Inquisiters, I have sent it to you to obtain your singater upon it that it may become wholey offisial. Please return it at your immediate convenients as discussed in our most recent conversation.

What must be done will not always be easy--

Yours,
J. Inq. Glour'eya Wynsee

The second copy was delivered to Marshall Emory, accompanied by another missive.

Ariane,

I am awaiting Genny Tolleson's signater on this; I wish to give you a copy that you may know it in its original form in case her questionable state as a meddler in minds suggests she make changes to it that may seem advantacheous to her,

It is my hope you understand why this ought to be done, I am not asking for your loyalty, but for your fairness in all things as Marshall if this action is carried threw,

Yours,
Glour'eya

The third copy was delivered to the Constabulary, with one CONSTABLE THAD addressed above its seal.

Thad,

We have not met but once you see but as a member of the Inquisitory I should wish to have the Constabulary's support on this, as of yet this is not an offisial document but may be soon, both the current HIGH INQUISITER and MARSHALL are associates of the GOVERNOR and I should wish you to have it for this reason that what is to be done lawfelly will not be muddled up by friendships, I might also wish you should pass this to Cinnabar Calomel if you feel it nesessary,

Yours,
J. Inq. Glour'eya (Gloria) Wynsee

A fourth copy, as well, found its way beneath the door of one Lady Egris in the Broken Dagger.

You wish to know the state of things, and this may interest you; it is like our soldier-game, but in a different way which should not bring with it blood,

Yours,
Gloria Wynsee

In its drafted form, the document that accompanied each one of those letters read:

On this __th day of the __th month of 214, the Myrken Wood Inquisitory states its Official Intent to Investigate matters supported by standing evidence, to wit: GOVERNOR GLENN BURNIE and SELECT MEMBERS AND ASSOCIATES OF THE MYRKEN WOOD COUNCIL, hereafter designated as THE ACCUSED, are alleged to have been instrumental in one or more instances of the manipulation and alteration of sovereign thoughts of CITIZENS OF MYRKEN WOOD without prior consent.

SPECIFICATION 1: The Myrken Wood Inquisitory, following several tumultuous months wherein the now-deceased RHAENA OLWAK forcibly altered the mental states of various CITIZENS OF MYRKEN WOOD, finds it necessary to examine matters wherein preter- or super-natural talents may have been brandished with the intent to control or harm various subjects.

SPECIFICATION 2: On the 18th day of the 12th month of 213, during a public speech given and sanctioned by THE ACCUSED, mental state of one GLORIA WYNSEE was altered at the behest of a trusted adviser of THE ACCUSED. By unconfirmed extension, the same talent may have been wielded against one AGNIESZKA KACZMAREK and others yet unnamed.

SPECIFICATION 3: Due to his past personal connections with RHAENA OLWAK, GLENN BURNIE of THE ACCUSED may or may not have been complicit in this act, and by unconfirmed extension, past mental transgressions levied against CITIZENS OF MYRKEN WOOD: to wit, MARSHALL ARIANE EMORY, AGNIESZKA KACZMAREK, ELLIOT BROWN, et al.

SPECIFICATION 4: Following the death of RHAENA OLWAK, a "Black Hour" -- wherein countless citizens of Myrken Wood were stricken with a dearth of memory and knowledge -- appears, by THE ACCUSED's own public admission on 18.12.13, to have been ineffectual in modifying GLENN BURNIE's perceptions: "I was still loosely connected to the Monster that had been my betrothed on that day, you must understand. I saw it through her eyes and I remember what you do not." This fact, by unconfirmed extension, may serve in allegations of collusion between THE ALLEGED and RHAENA OLWAK.

By way of this Official Intent to Investigate, the Myrken Wood Inquisitory requests the following:

STANDARD 1: That GLENN BURNIE be temporarily removed from his station as Governor until a public trial acquitting his involvement -- and certifying his clarity and goodness of capability -- can be held;

STANDARD 2: That AGNIESZKA KACZMAREK, as a trusted representative of GLENN BURNIE and also a possible victim of recent mental alteration, be temporarily removed from her station as Councilwoman of Myrken Wood until a public trial confirming her solidarity of mind -- and certifying her clarity and goodness of capability -- can be held;

STANDARD 3: That the origins of the "Black Hour" be extensively researched and confirmed before any further public statements be made regarding the extent of its effect;

On this __th day of the __th month of 214, the Myrken Wood Inquisitory states its Official Intent to Investigate matters supported by the above-decreed specifications and standards, and upon completion of the signature below, requests the utmost cooperation of the above-stated, for the Safety and Solidarity of Myrken Wood.

Signed,

Co-Founder

Re: Official Inquest: A Draft

Postby Kestrel » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:56 pm

A return letter, neatly pressed with melted wax and the crest of a kestrel upon it.

One of her men would deliver it to the seamstress' hands and stand guard for a moment with hands clasped patiently in front of him. He kept his gaze averted, staring straight ahead of himself. Should there be a return, he'd give a short, sharp nod and accept that bit of parchment, as well. His murmured thanks was low, but it conveyed the respect he felt she deserved.

Dear Gloria,

I find this information infinitely interesting. We must meet to discuss. Written word can always be altered. I suggest you take this one to flame upon its arrival.

If you need muscle and money thrown around, please just point me in the general direction.

May your enemies find themselves without the easy shelter that power brings.

I will toast in hopes of your success.

The Kestrel
Kestrel

Postby Rance » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:04 pm

Enemies. Gloria Wynsee did not know if she liked those sounds, that collection of smooth, hilly consonants. Enemies.

Denizens, she preferred; devils, perhaps. But enemies was a word that carried with it such weight, such significance, that its presence upon the paper brought a hardness to the tips of her fingers and a grease to the inner depression of her collarbone. Enemies connoted violence; enemies suggested irreparable and implacable horizons of difference.

But as she was bid, by the other sentences that accompanied that seven-letter comet of ink, the girl put the page to candleflame and strangled the burnt carcass of parchment beneath her bootheel.

If the choices of unreliable others had bred perfidy, the seamstress imagined she ought not be so selective about mere words.

Especially when they offered her assistance.
Rance
Co-Founder

Postby Tolleson » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:20 pm

Dearest Glour'eya

Thank you for your swiftness and the considerable effort I am certain such a draft must have taken. You are truly coming into your position well, I am both honored and proud. That said, I implore you to not consider my words harsh, but as guidance. To rile a crowd is to invite chaos, one that is angry brings violence too. Be patient and be smart, I am confident you can be both. Do this I am sure you will seek justice and not retribution. I only ask you tread with care and be wary of the people’s perception of such an inquest. You are not without responsibility for the actions of others when they are based upon your words.

A thought for your investigation: You may find notes in my desk at the Inquisitory and a journal in Marshall Emory’s possession from before all this, if my recall is correct. Mister Treadwell became acting governor for a short time, during which I allied with the Constables and conducted interviews with a good number of the citizenry. Their testimony was in aid of the investigation regarding Lady Olwak’s murder, though there may be some useful piece for your purpose.

As for your inquest, what follows are some notes to consider for revision:

For items 2, 3, 4, “Specification” should be changed to “Assertion,” or perhaps, “Allegation” as there are yet a limited number of testimonies and solid facts for the basis of these statements.

Further more this document, as a formal inquest is incomplete. You will need to outline a purpose for each, something that the investigation will seek to achieve. For example, you have well written the intent in Specification 1, but I suggest you avoid mere repetition of a merchant gossip, or give cause to your righteous touting.

“The Myrken Wood Inquisitory, following several tumultuous months wherein the now-deceased RHAENA OLWAK forcibly altered the mental states of various CITIZENS OF MYRKEN WOOD, finds it necessary to examine matters wherein preter- or super-natural talents may have been brandished with the intent to control or harm various subjects. -- Examination will conclusively identify individuals effected, to what extent, and suggest recompense for any trespass it finds in accordance with Myrkentown law.”

Again, I bid you proceed with caution, this is a political matter that may well leave Myrken exposed to threats far greater than internal misguided lies – take heed and know your allies. To fight with one another, we make ourselves vulnerable and our enemies are neither weak nor dim-witted.

Gods be good to you, with my hopes that this is resolved swift and full,
Genevieve Tolleson

Post Script –
I intend to leave Myrken for a short while, a sojourn of several days at the most. I ask that you do not consider this as some manner of incrimination action, which is why I tell you my intent now. My purpose is to visit a friend who may be able to help me recover lost memories, help you solve this, and if possible, fix what wrong was done to you. I will contact you upon my return.

Sealed with green wax and written with a quick, but careful hand was a letter it's tone entirely friendly on no official parchment. Of course, that didn't mean other copies weren't penned, still, it was a kinder, less official letter that echoed the final pieces of their last conversation. We both want the same thing, perhaps, in essence, it was a peace offering despite the fact that they were forced to, Genny willingly hoped to work together.
Tolleson

Postby Carnath-Emory » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:05 am

To: Junior Inquisitor Wynsee

Your intentions and your means are well-understood.

I would have my name removed from your list of the victimised.
I understand that you may not see fit to oblige.

I would urge you towards calm and well-reasoned measures. It would be well
if we were to discuss this matter before you continue further. I understand
should you find yourself unwilling.

A copy of your draft and this letter will be placed with the other supporting
documents, with my thanks.

Marshall Emory
Myrken Defense Committee

Carnath-Emory

Return to Myrken Wood